About Kate Kowalewski
Ms. Kowalewski is the founder of Kowalewski Law and Kowalewski Consulting. She is a highly accomplished attorney/forensic accountant with over 15 years of professional legal and business experience. She is a member of the State Bar of California, a licensed Certified Public Accountant, a Certified Fraud Examiner and is Certified in Financial Forensics by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants.
Prior to starting Kowalewski Law and Kowalewski Consulting, she was a Partner at Robbins Geller Rudman & Dowd LLP, the nation’s largest plaintiff’s side class action firm. Leveraging her unique background as a securities attorney, forensic accountant and fraud investigator, she investigated hundreds of potential fraud claims, which lead to the filing of over 120 securities class actions or shareholder derivative actions, including numerous cases against companies implicated in the stock option backdating scandal or the subprime mortgage crisis. Moreover, Ms. Kowalewski played a key role in the litigation of highly complex accounting scandals within some of America’s largest corporations including Cardinal Health ($600 million), Sprint Nextel Corporation ($131 million), First Energy ($89.5 million), Krispy Kreme Doughnuts ($74 million), UnumProvident ($40 million) and Wireless Facilities ($12 million).
Ms. Kowalewski earned her Bachelor of Business Administration degree in Accounting from Ohio University in 1994 and her Masters degree in Business Administration from Limburgs Universitair Centrum (currently known as Hasselt University) in Diepenbeek, Belgium in 1995. She earned her Juris Doctor degree from the University of San Diego in 2001, where she served as Lead Articles Editor of the San Diego Law Review. While in law school, Ms. Kowalewski served as judicial extern to the Honorable Richard D. Huffman of the California Court of Appeal, 4th District, Division 1.
Based upon her educational background and professional experience, Ms. Kowalewski is an expert in class actions; securities and general civil litigation; forensic accounting; fraud investigations; financial statement fraud; financial reporting requirements, including auditing and accounting standards; corporate governance practices; Securities and Exchange Commission rules and regulations, including SEC reporting requirements; and general business practices.
Ms. Kowalewski has been named to the San Diego edition of “Super Lawyers” for 2013 – 2016 in the area of Business and Corporate. Attorneys chosen for this prestigious list are selected only after a rigorous selection process based upon both professional achievement and peer recognition.
Highlights of Bio:
- B.B.A, Ohio University in Athens, Ohio
- M.B.A., Hasselt University in Diepenbeek, Belgium
- J.D., University of San Diego School of Law
- Lead Articles Editor, San Diego Law Review
- Judicial extern, Justice Richard D. Huffman, California Court of Appeal
- Partner, Robbins Geller Rudman & Dowd LLP
- President, Lawyers Club of San Diego (2009-2010)
- Listed in the 2013-2016 San Diego edition of “Super Lawyers” for Business and Corporate
- Certified Public Accountant, State of California
- Certified Public Accountant, State of Ohio
- Certified Fraud Examiner
- Certified in Financial Forensics
Professional Associations and Community:
- Lawyers Club of San Diego, President (2009 – 2010) and Board Member (2006 – 2009)
- Lawyers Club of San Diego, Chair of the Judicial Elections Endorsement Committee (2012 – )
- Think Dignity (formerly Girls Think Tank), Treasurer and Board Member (2010 – 2013)
- San Diego County Bar Association
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Association of Certified Fraud Examiners
- California Society of CPAs
- Forensic Expert Witness Association – Associate Member
- State Bar of California
- United States District Courts for the Northern, Central and Southern Districts of California
- United States District Court for the District of Colorado